Plans for a better biz... what's FOMI?!

Monday, January 19, 2009
So I've been toying with the idea of starting my own doll store... online if anything, at first, to keep costs down. And now with the economy being as unstable as it is, I need to go out there and be my own boss more than ever.

I already have a design and illustration company/group called Furoku Culture that I founded back in 2000. It has continued to be a prosperous business since then. Every year we grow a little bit more and make more money. But because the cycle of work usually picks up only during those certain times of the year when comic and anime conventions are big, there is a lot of slow periods in between. I was wanting to incorporate a new division to the business and have it stand to produce money year round. Well, that's my goal anyway.

F.O.M.I. Dolls is my tentative name for this doll shop.
It stands for: Figures Of My Imagination.

The first manufacturer that I have already made negotiations with is Bobobie. They are a manufacturer based in China and they have really good quality dolls at affordable prices. I think its a good company to transition with before I invest time and money with the larger, more expensive comapnies in Asia. 'Dennis' is my main contact with Bobobie and I believe he is the owner of the company as well. From what I heard, he worked with a different BJD company in the past and didn't like what was happening within the business, so he decided to start his own company.

Aside from just selling dolls by other people, I was hoping to get back on track with actually scuplting and casting my own BJDs. An idea that I've discussed in other blogs, but have yet to start. I am also looking for other artisans in the crafting of doll clothes and accessories. i'd like to be able to offer hadcrafted items to the public that normally wouldn't be able to find these items by normal means. I just bought a sewing machine today so that I can at least learn to make clothes for my own dolls. But as far as me selling my own handmade clothes... I think, I've got enough on my plate for now.

Oh, and I can't forget that my brother, Mark, will be getting in on the action as well. He started his own importing company a couple years back for Japanese collector figures. Those would be a perfect addition to the store and would expand the demographic for the site. He seem excited about it as well, so we'll just see how far I can take these ideas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment